Abraham & Straus

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Abraham & Straus

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1865-1995

History

Abraham & Straus was founded by Abraham Abraham and Isidor Straus, co-owner of R.H. Macy and Company, on February 14, 1865 in Brooklyn, NY. Taking up an entire city block ( between Fulton, Hoyt, and Livingston Streets and Gallatin Place) Abraham & Straus remained one of these shopping destinations in Brooklyn throughout the late 19th and most of the 20th century. The owners often planned new expansions, like a 10 story complex in 1928 (the Great Depression made it so only three sections were constructed). In 1959, the store expanded once again spilling over to the lot across Hoyt Street. By the mid-century, however, the area surrounding the department store began to lose it's grandeur. In 1995, the store was repurposed into a Macy's. Today, you can still see parts of the original design inside the Macy's.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

US.20200523.004

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places